*Keto /Low Carb *Gluten Free *Grain Free
Yield: 4 individual bread bowls or 1 large bread bowl
2¼ cups SunFlour
¼ cup coconut flour
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (low moisture part-skim milk)
4 oz. cream cheese
¼ cup plain low carb yogurt or buttermilk
Optional: 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (light or dark) for pumpernickel/rye look; celtic sea salt and/or carraway seeds for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small glass bowl, add mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave at one minute intervals until mozzarella has melted and cream cheese is soft. (If you prefer not to use the microwave, you can melt the mozzarella in a skillet over low heat and use a softened cream cheese).
- To make the dough, add all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until combined. (You can also use an electric mixer but you’ll get the best results with a food processor)
- Form four evenly sized dough balls using your hands that are either moistened with water or oil to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Drop the pizza dough balls onto a parchment-lined baking pan, spaced evenly apart.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees until the starts to brown and is hardened on the outside. It will be slightly firm on the inside.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes.
- If you will be using the bread bowl as a vessel for soup, place bread bowl on cutting board and slice off the top and carve out some of the bread inside. Put bread aside for dipping. Fill with soup and eat while still warm!
- If you will be using the bread bowl as a vessel for dip, let the bread bowl completely cool before cutting the tops and carving. (It is recommended you do this as close to when you plan to fill with dip as possible). Cut up removed bread pieces for dipping.
Modifications for making bread bowls using other SunFlour bread recipes:
1) If you want to be dairy free and keep it keto, you can use our Keto SunFlour Bread recipe instead (optionally adding the cocoa powder if you like it darker). Once you make the bread batter, we recommend splitting up the batter and baking in at least 2 separate round glass or metal bowls if you want a larger bread bowl. (We don’t think it would work as well to use the full batter amount for one bowl). If you have small pyrex bowls, you can split it into 4. Follow recipe bake times and adjust as needed.
Make your bread bowls ahead of time! If you like to do weekly meal prep, make them ahead and freeze them! Let them come to room temperature before heating.
Want to help your bread bowl rise? Put a handful of ice cubes in an oven safe bowl in the oven while the dough is baking. The rapid melting creates steam for rising!
1 serving = 1 bread bowl (1/4th of recipe)
7.9g net carbs (12.1g carbs – 4.2g fiber)
*If using other SunFlour breads, see those recipes for the macros