This recipes uses our popular SunFlour Focaccia Bread recipe with only a couple additions to ingredients (caraway seeds + cocoa powder) and some modifications to process (to get the striking contrast and swirls). We also use a loaf bread pan here vs. a more traditional focaccia square or round pan but any of the pans (including bun pans too) may be used with slight baking time adjustments.
Yields: 1, 9X5 loaf bread (see macros below)
¼ cup SunFlour
½ cup sorghum flour (we like Bob’s Red Mill)
½ cup tapioca starch
½ cup + 1 Tbsp potato starch
1½ tsp xanthan
1 Tbsp coconut palm or cane sugar (+ 1 tsp to activate yeast)
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp caraway seeds
2 Tbsp cocoa powder (we prefer dark for the striking contrast)
1½ packets active yeast (Red Star)
Optional toppings: caraway seeds, sunflower seeds
¾ cup warm water (100 degrees approximately)
2 Tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients (except caraway seeds, cocoa powder and yeast) & whisk together so they are mixed thoroughly.
- Split dry ingredients equally between two bowls.
- Add 1 Tbsp caraway seeds and 2 Tbsp cocoa powder to one of the bowls.
- Mix together in a separate bowl with whisk: warm water, yeast, 1 tsp sugar. Let stand until foam forms about 1/16″ above the water (this should take about 5 minutes).
- Add egg and olive oil to the liquid and incorporate.
- Add half of the wet ingredients to each of the dry ingredient bowls.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients in each bowl to form the batters.
- Mixing Process (we prefer a stand mixer but it can be done without): For each bowl of batter, use stand mixer & bread hook attachment and stir for 2 minutes on lowest speed, then 4 minutes on medium speed. If you do not have a stand mixer, try using a hand mixer with a paddle attachment for 4 minutes. Or, just use a spatula and elbow grease to stir!
Proofing Process (Steps 10-12):
- Put 2 cups of water in microwave & heat for 5 minutes so that you have a warm, humid environment for proofing.
- Pour the batters gently, side by side, into a parchment-lined pan or oiled bread pan. Swirl the batter with a spatula or a knife to create the marbling effect. Smooth out surface with wet spatula, making sure batter is pushed to all walls of pan. Surface of batter should be smooth and even.
- Put pan in warmed microwave next to the heated water and proof for about 20 minutes. (No heating the microwave). When the dough is double in size it is done. DON’T proof too long or the bread will collapse.
- Remove pan from microwave and bake at 375 degrees for approximately 30-33 minutes until top is golden brown and bread feels firm to touch. It should not be spongy.
- Remove from oven & let cool for 5 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan & let cool on cooling rack for about 30 minutes; then serve.
- Slice and enjoy! This bread freezes well.
*If you just want traditional rye bread without the marbled effect, you can just add the caraway seeds and omit the cocoa powder and swirling!
Serving size 1 slice = 1/20 of loaf (25g)
Net carbs = 6g (9g carb -3g fiber)
Fat = 4g
Protein = 2.5g
Calories = 75
Need to be keto or low carb?
Check out our Keto SunFlour Marble Rye Bread recipe!
Leave a Reply