Yields: 8” round or 8”x8″ square loaf, 10 slices (can also make loaf bread and buns)
*see macros below
¼ cup SunFlour
½ cup sorghum flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
½ cup tapioca starch
½ cup + 1 Tbsp potato starch
1 ½ tsp xanthan (Bob’s Red Mill)
1 Tbsp coconut palm or cane sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp fresh rosemary – chopped
1 ½ packets active yeast (Red Star)
¾ cup warm water (100 degrees approximately)
2 Tbsp olive oil or sun-dried tomato oil
Optional add-ins: 1 Tbsp chopped sun-dried tomato, ¼ cup shredded cheese, 2 Tbsp chopped olives
Optional toppings: sun-dried tomato, rosemary sprig, kosher salt, cheese, whatever you love!
- Combine all dry ingredients (except the yeast) & whisk together so they are mixed thoroughly.
- Mix together in a separate bowl with a whisk: warm water, yeast, 1 tsp sugar. Let stand until foam forms about 1/16” above the water. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 egg and 2 Tbsp olive oil to liquid and incorporate.
- Combine wet & dry ingredients in mixing bowl & stir with spatula until batter forms.
- Mixing Process: Use stand mixer & bread hook attachment and stir for 2 minutes on lowest speed, then 4 minutes on medium speed. If you do not have a stand mixer try using a hand mixer with a paddle attachment for 4 minutes. Include any add-ins at the end.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Proofing Process (Steps 8-11):
- Put 2 cups of water in microwave & heat for 5 minutes so that you have a warm, humid environment for proofing.
- Pour batter into a parchment lined pan or oiled pan (8” diameter or 8” square). Smooth out surface with wet spatula, making sure batter is pushed to all walls of pan. Surface of batter should be smooth and even.
- Put pan in warmed microwave with the heated water and proof for about 20 minutes. (No heating the microwave). When the dough is double in size it is done. DON’T overproof, (e.g. proof too long) or the bread will collapse.
- Remove pan from microwave & make 8-10 dimples in batter with wet finger (about 1/2 “ deep).
- Sprinkle additional kosher salt and chopped rosemary on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 28-30 minutes until top is golden brown and bread feels firm to touch. It should not be spongy. (Adapt timing for loaf bread and buns based on pan size).
- Remove from oven & let cool for 5 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan & let cool on cooling rack for about 30 minutes; then serve. Delicious on it’s own, dipped in oil, on sandwiches, you name it!
1 serving= 1 slice = 47g
Net carbs = 12g (Carbs 17g – Fiber 5 g)
Need to be Low Carb or Keto?
Try SunFlour Keto Bread!