Pizza Making is as much art as it is science. The science comes in following the steps to ensure your dough will do what it needs. The art, well, that’s all in how you like your pizza! Thick, thin, with pesto or red sauce, full of veggies, meat or cheese! We think life is too short to live without pizza. You’ll love this gourmet experience with our high protein Perfect Paleo Pizza Crust Mix!
Be sure your yeast is fresh. Some people buy it in bulk which can be a great savings but it will lose it’s effectiveness quickly. If you buy that way, we suggest you store it very tightly sealed in your refrigerator.
There are many types of yeast and they aren’t all created equal. For the pizza crust, you will need active yeast.
Can’t do yeast? Instead of the yeasted water, add 2 egg whites and 1 tsp baking powder. Of course, there would be no proofing either. We created this pizza specifically because we wanted a yeasted, more authentic pizza. The non-yeast version will still be incredibly tasty but it won’t be as chewy and will not get as much lift.
The goal of proofing is to get a humid environment for your dough to rise. Skipping this step or not doing it completely means you get less rise from your crust and that it is more dense.
For proper proofing, we suggest using your microwave as the environment since it is a tightly sealed place for the humidity to affect the dough.
Simply heat 1 cup of water in your microwave for 5 minutes. Then, put your pizza pan with the dough on it in the microwave with the heated water. It is important that you do not heat! Again, the goal is just to get humidity into your dough that is coming from the cup of hot water releasing steam.
We prefer to use organic coconut palm sugar but you can use honey, agave or another sugar source to activate the yeast.
Each bag makes two, 10″ pizzas. Because SunFlour has the healthy sunflower seed oil in it, it is not only tasty, but it makes for a delicious and never dry crust. The oil also means it won’t dry out in your freezer. So go ahead, make many crusts ahead of time, par-bake them and freeze them for later. Such a time saver!
Instructions for making a 10” pizza crust with Perfect Paleo Pizza Crust Mix
*Each bag makes two, 10”pizzas or 1 large or thick crust pizza
- Add 1.5 packets (10g) active yeast to 2/3 cup (140-145g) of 100 degree water. Stir in 1 tsp coconut palm sugar to activate. Let set until foamy (5 mins.)
- Add yeasted water and 1.5 Tbsp (21g) olive oil to 2 cups minus 1 Tbsp. (189 g) SunFlour Pizza Crust Mix
- Mix with spatula until thick dough becomes a ball shape. (Add 1-2 more tablespoons of water if you prefer lighter crust)
- Put ball of pizza dough on 12” oiled pizza pan and spread out from the center using a spatula dipped in warm water.
- Proof in warm, humid environment for 25 minutes (see suggestion above)
- Pierce the dough with a fork about 5 times. Lightly coat top of pizza with olive oil and parbake on center rack for 7-10 minutes at 425 degrees until crust turns a ‘light’ golden brown.
- Add your favorite toppings and sauce.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted & bubbly.
Download Pizza Crust Baking Instructions here:
Want to make a Deep Dish crust? Here are the modifications:
Each single bag (or 378 grams), makes two regular thickness 10″ pizzas. If you want to make deep dish pizza, just use the whole bag (all 378 grams) and double the other ingredients too.
We like to use a cast iron skillet but any deep-rimmed metal pan or stone bakeware will do.
We have not tried to bake it in glassware but don’t think it would work as effectively because glass doesn’t conduct heat as well as metal, stoneware, or cast iron. We love the cast iron because you get a super crispy crust with a bready interior. (For regular thickness crust, we go with stoneware or metal pans).
Need to be Keto?
Try our Keto SunFlour Pizza Crust recipe here.