Pancakes and waffles made from SunFlour have been the core of our breakfast for two decades. We still eat them regularly, 3-4 times a week, so we’ve perfected the taste and nutrition to keep us going through the morning. We made them sweet and moist enough that they can be eaten without syrup on the drive to work or school or at your desk wherever you work.
The sweetness comes from an organic coconut palm sugar, which is low glycemic (35GI). Between the protein, fiber and low glycemic coconut palm sugar, you can feel confident that you’ll get the energy you need and won’t have to worry about putting on weight. For a traditional breakfast, you can enjoy them with syrup and fruit.
Pancakes (Yields 18 pancakes or 6 servings)
- Sifting: If you would like the pancakes a little extra fluffy, sift the baking mix before preparing. All baking mixes and flour settle in the bags. Taking an extra 30 secconds to sift the flour improves the texture.
- Mixing: Pancakes are really easy and quick to make. Combine wet ingredients (egg, oil, milk) in a bowl, stir, and pour in bag of SunFlour Pancake & Waffle Mix. Again, while it’s not necessary, for the best results, sift mix into the bowl. Mix with spatula until batter is smooth and you’re ready to go.
- Pan Heat: You’ll find that medium-low heat with a well-oiled pan will give you a nice golden brown pancake. You can cook it on a higher heat (medium) but you’ll have to watch out for burning and turn the pancakes more quickly.
- Cooking: Use a tablespoon to pour approximately 4” diameter pancakes. It should take them about 2 minutes per side. Flip (only once) when you see bubbles forming.
- Storing: We freeze left overs and just toast before eating. They are just as good reheated as when they are fresh.
Waffles are even easier than pancakes and they always come out perfectly! Just lightly spray a heated waffle iron with baking oil, and ladle pancake/waffle batter onto the iron to the point where it is “mostly full” (don’t overfill). Set on medium and you’re done in 3 minutes. They’re great for the drive to work or a weekend morning in.
Smaller Batch Size
Although you can easily freeze extras, if you like them off the griddle or waffle maker every time, and are feeding only two people, try this:
½ bag Pancake & Waffle Mix (equivalent to 1 1/3 cup + 1 rounded Tbsp)
1/4 cup Milk or Rice Milk
2 tsp oil